Mar 22 2013
The Daily Mirror
I will be writing an article, in the not to distant future, about the way these victims have been bullied and silenced in the authorities attempt to stop the truth coming out.
“The trauma caused by the police contacting people over events that took place 30 years ago is worse than the event itself,” says one victim
One said that after re-living harrowing memories of being molested three decades ago he was simply handed a list of charity phone numbers to call himself.
The man, who we are calling Sam, told Exaro, the investigative website: “The trauma caused by the police contacting people over events that took place 30 years ago is worse than the event itself.
“The police did conduct the interview with sensitivity. It is the system that fails. It is essential that support is put in place immediately after a historical trawl.”
There are calls for Chancellor George Osborne to provide funds in Wednesday’s budget for victim support services to help people sexually abused as children and drawn into historic abuse allegations.
Sam told detectives six weeks ago how he had been molested while in a care home at the centre of abuse claims, reported by the Sunday People, which date back to 1982 but are now being re-investigated.
He said: “The police operation brought back a lot of bad memories that had been buried for three decades. You cannot sleep, eat or work; cannot think of anything else; cannot be with people; cannot be alone.
“You are thinking, ‘How is my life going to change? How do I tell my mother?’”
He was spoken to by officers from the Met Police’s Operation Fernbridge – which is investigating claims of abuse by prominent people against children trafficked from care homes including Grafton Close, where he was a resident, in Richmond, south-west London.
The right fat, useless cunt,Tom Watson MP
The investigation began after Labour MP Tom Watson used Parliamentary privilege last October to tell of a paedophile ring linked to top politicians.
Meanwhile a second victim, who asked not to be named, has spoken of the devastating effects of re-living his ordeal and the lack of support in place.
He has told police how he was in care as a boy at Grafton Close and taken to the nearby Elm guest house – an alleged paedophile brothel used by public figures – to be sexually abused.
He told Exaro: “I have had to obtain a victim support person myself. He phones me once a week to see how I am coping.
“My GP has prescribed anti-depressants and sleeping tablets. I have also spoken about getting a link worker to assist me. I am waiting to hear.”
Sam pointed out that a report 11 years ago by the House of Commons home affairs committee – which included PM David Cameron – recommended people involved in historic abuse probes should be offered support services, but this was never introduced.
A No10 spokesman said: “The Ministry of Justice is providing £10.5million over three years to provide services to support victims of these heinous crimes.”
A primary school teacher appeared in court yesterday charged with sex offences against children.
The man, 31, who has worked in three schools in York, faces 23 offences including sexual touching and sexual activity with a boy under 13. He was bailed until May 9 by magistrates in the city.