Sep 30 2012
Taxpayers Spent $1.4 Billion on Obama Family Last Year… Plus Bonus: 5 Mindblowing facts about his wife, Whatsaname.
The Daily Caller
Taxpayers spent $1.4 billion dollars on everything from staffing, housing, flying and entertaining President Obama and his family last year, according to the author of a new book on taxpayer-funded presidential perks.
In comparison, British taxpayers spent just $57.8 million on the royal family.
Author Robert Keith Gray writes in “Presidential Perks Gone Royal” that Obama isn’t the only president to have taken advantage of the expensive trappings of his office. But the amount of money spent on the first family, he argues, has risen tremendously under the Obama administration and needs to be reined in.
Gray told The Daily Caller that the $1.4 billion spent on the Obama family last year is the “total cost of the presidency,” factoring the cost of the “biggest staff in history at the highest wages ever,” a 50 percent increase in the numbers of appointed czars and an Air Force One “running with the frequency of a scheduled air line.”
“The most concerning thing, I think, is the use of taxpayer funds to actually abet his re-election,” Gray, who worked in the Eisenhower administration and for other Republican presidents, said in an interview with TheDC on Wednesday.
“The press has been so slow in picking up on this extraordinary increase in the president’s expenses,” Gray told TheDC. (RELATED: Five shocking truths about Michelle Obama)
Specifically, Gray said taxpayer dollars are subsidizing Obama’s re-election effort when he uses Air Force One to jet across the country campaigning.
Mindblowing Facts About Michelle Obama
First lady Michelle Obama gave an exclusive interview to celebrity tabloid Us Weekly and spilled five previously unknown facts about herself — and the revelations are startling.
1. Michelle thinks voting is a good idea. This is a novel admission that we haven’t heard from candidates or their wives, ever.
2. Sometimes she lets Bo sleep in her bed when Barack is out of town. It’s not what you think: Bo is the name of the first family’s Portuguese water dog.
3. Michelle didn’t just skip a science class here and there — she skipped the entire second grade.
4. The self-proclaimed health freak with the healthy eating “Let’s Move” campaign admitted that she once ate a fried Twinkie in Iowa. The hypocrisy is astounding.
5. Michelle didn’t make any mention of loving her husband, but she did admit that she “loves” sports.
We’re not quite sure how Us Weekly landed this mind-blowing exclusive, but hats off to them.