Savile and ‘his’ hospitals


The Daily Express

Jimmy’s Special Request

The Daily Express. Saturday, 8th July, 1972

Disc  jockey  Jimmy  Savile made  a  special  appeal  in  a letter   yesterday  to  Leeds Magistrates:  “If I  am  fined, can  I  have  time  to pay and if I  am imprisoned,  can I  go to Broadmoor,  because  I  work there ? ”

The  magistrates  fined  Savile £3  for  failing  to  display  an excise  licence  on  his  Rolls-Royce  and  their  clerk  said  a letter  would  be  sent  asking  him  for  the  money.



Jimmy wins guv’nor of them all

The Daily Express. Monday 1st January 1973.

First he’s an OBE- Now he’s Mr Showbiz  1972


WELL,  guys  n’  gals,  Jimmy  Savile’s  done  it  again  .  .  .  last year  the  eccentric  disc-jockey  was awarded  an  O.B.E.  and  last  night , he  capped  It  by  becoming  the Show  Business  Personality  of  1972.

The  award  was  made  by  the Variety  Club  of  Great  Britain  who cited  him  for  the outstanding  success of  his  television  series,  “Top  of  the Pops”  and  radio  series,  ” Savile’s Travel.

Said  Jimmy:  “I  am  completely overwhelmed,  surprised,  and  delighted at  the  good  taste of  the British  public. It’s  no  wonder  I  love  them  and  refuse to  live  In a  tax  haven.”

“I  can’t  sing,  I  can’t  dance,  I  can’t  act  and  I can’t  tell  jokes  to  get  this award  Is  not  a  bad  thing . . .  it’s  the  guv’nor  of them  all.”

Jimmy  awarded  the O.B.E  for  services  to hospitals  and  charities, arrived  late at the reception before  the  awards  dinner  at  London’s  Talk  of  the Town,  after  working  at Stoke  Mandeville  Hospital,  Buckinghamshire.

After  the  dinner  he was due at Broadmoor  Hospital  for  an  all-night  shift starting  at  2 A.M.  He has worked  there  for  five  years.


Talk About A Tea Party! My Life Will Never Be The Same

By Jimmy Savile OBE

The Daily Express.  Tuesday June 17th 1980



IF you have the time to spare, just imagine what’ it’s like to try to raise ten million pounds. How do you set about it, who do you go and see, who can you count on as allies?

How did I get into this mad, mad situation in the first place? It was a set of amazing coincidences all in the same week.

Having  worked  voluntarily  and most happily for about a dozen  years  In three  major but  very different  hospitals,  Leeds Infirmary,  Broadmoor  and Stoke  Mandeville, I  suddenly  got feeling, that I’d like  to  take  tea  with  the Secretary  of  State  For Social  Services.

The  only  reason  I  can give for  this  is that  I’d never met a  Secretary of State  and that seemed  reason  enough.

So  I rang  his  office,  they  said why not, and I  presented myself at  the  Department of Health in  London  at  the appointed  time.  He was out  but  only  down  the road at the House-of-Commons and that’s where we finished up round a teapot.

As  it  happens,  earlier  that week,  several  of  our  ceilings  had  fallen  in  on  the  Stoke Mandeville  spinal  patients,  depositing  35  years  of  dead  flies  and sundry  bits of sodden wood on  the luckless patients in  the  beds  below.

Someone  somewhere  decreed  that, the half  ruined  National Spinal  Injuries  Centre  would  now  close and  cease  to exist.

Entirely  on  t heir  own initiative,  staff  and  patients of  the unit  staged a sit-in and the TV and papers  gave  them a  lot  of  cover.  All  these things  happened  over  the same  few  days  and  dominated  my  long  arranged  tea party.

“We have  problems”  said the  Secretary of  State, as he cut a  chocolate  cake freshly bought  from  the petty cash.

“Not  really”,  says  I  pouring the  tea. So we struck a deal. He  would  arrange, for the spinal  unit  to  stay  open if I  would  find  the money for  a new hospital.  And that’s how It all started.

From  then  on my life and  the lives of  lots of  the lovely  people who work at the hospital were  never to be the same again.

A fine and beautiful madness has taken us all.  One of  the girls  In the spinal  office,  Sylvia,  has given  to  shouting  “God bless,”  as  she’  types the same on the ‘ bottom of a thank you letter for  what  seems  to  be  the millionth time.

Last  week  at  the height of the  daily  battle  With  four phones  ringing,  five  doctors milling  and six girls  shouting I  suddenly  sprang to my feet and  shouted:  “Two.  Guinness;  four  pints  of  mild  and a  rum and pep.”

“What  did  you do  that for?” asked  the  startled but silenced  team.

“It sounds like a pub so I thought I’d give it an authentic atmosphere,” says I.

Even major surgery stands no chance.  Janet, my right hand girl was suddenly whisked off to the operating theatre for repairs peculiar to ladies.

“Rest in bed for two weeks then off to convalesce,” said the doctor. The two weeks rest was cut to two days and the convalescence postponed till next year.

“I’m not missing any of the action,” said Janet, “I’d go even more mad at home”.

The  appeal  started on Wednesday,  January  23, so  we’ve now  been  at  It 21 weeks.  It didn’t start  off too good.

A whisky  firm  talked  about giving  us three  quarters  of a million  pounds if  people  sent back  their  bottle  tops  but subsequent  arithmetic deduced  that  the entire  population of Britain  would  have  to  render  themselves  drunk  and incapable  to reach  the target. So that got the elbow.

An American gentleman said he’d give us a million dollars but he disappeared in rapid succession.  A nurse from Leeds infirmary weighed in with her dinner money – 40 pence; A BBC cameraman from  Jim’ll fix it slid  me a fiver;  And from  heaven  came  a real gentleman,  Douglas  who laid £15,000 on us. We were in business.

The  trickle  became  a  flood.  I’d already  slung  a few  thousand  quid  of my own In when  Quaker  Oats  gave me  two days’  notice of  £200-a-mile  if  I’d run a  marathon.  Three  hours and  thirty-five  minutes of  pounding  up  and  down Glen  Nevis  and that was another £5,000.

Ski  Yogurt  and Holts Car Spray,  came  in  With  targets  Of Over a hundred  grand  each. BUPA  the  famous  medical care  company  sponsored  the  intensive  care  ward  for  a quarter  of  a  million  pounds and  I  struck the  real  jackpot when  I  met  Victor  Matthews.

IF  the  Government  fastened  a  lead  from  Victor  into  the national  electricity  grid,  he  could run all the machines in Britain.

He  gave  me  the  Daily Express  and one of  his top BUILDING  companies,  Trollope and  Colls,  who will  build the new  unit  for no  profit.  He runs the Cunard Line and the QE2, but I’ve not got round to borrowing that yet.

I  knew   the  readers  of  the  Daily  Express  would  prove equal to the  paper’ challenge because years ago  when  I  had time  to train  as a  professional racing  cyclist, I  rode  the  first  Tour  of  Britain   which  was  activated  by this  very  newspaper.

Hundreds  of  thousands  of people  lined  the route  of the race,  and  today  even  more than  that  have  joined  in on  the presentation of the  world’s finest  centre  of excellence for spinal  Injuries.

Car and  motor  cycle  accidents,  falling off  the  step ladder  In  the’ house  or off  a horse  In the  field,  all  these victims—and-God  forbid,  it  could be you tomorrow—will live a full life, when not that many years ago they wouldn’t have stood a chance.

Because  of The pioneer  of  Sir  Ludwlg  Guttman  and his  team at Stoke  Mandeville, the  entire’ world  is seeing the slow  conquering  of the effects of broken  backs. What more reason  do we need  to have  a go at keeping this place alive ?

I  haven’t  got enough  money to  finish  the job  but by God I’ve  got  enough  to start, thanks  to all of you, including  the anonymous  ones. For them  there  will  be a special  plaque on the wall  which  will say  “Known to God.”

I’ve  not  told  a  fraction  of  the  Story here  nor  mentioned the  widow  inite  and  right  across  the  spectrum  to the  DuKe of Edinburgh. Maybe I’ll have time one day

If  YOU  know  anyone  who  hasn’t  yet  joined  the “team”  tell  them  we’re still  open  for  business. Like Sylvia says “God bless you”.


Killer Gives Up

The Daily Express, Tuesday July 21st 1981


ONE  of  Britains  most  dangerous  men, child  killer  Jamrs  Lang gave  himse lf up  last night  16  hours  after  breaking  out  of  Broadmoor. […]

THE  DRAMA  began  at Broadmoor  when  Lang  31, was  found to be missing  from his cell at 6-45 a.m. yesterday.

He had sawed through one of three steel bars on his window with a hacksaw blade.

Using a rope  made Of bandage  and knotted  sheets  he climbed to the  ground;  then the same  rope,  with a  homemade grappling hook, was used to get him over the 20ft high  perimeter  wall.

Police  considered  Lang’s escape  to be so  potentially  deadly  that  they  toured all local  towns and villages  with  loudhailer warnings. The urgent advice to all parents was “Bring your children indoors and keep them there!”

By that  time  most of the children  in  the  areas of crowthorne  and  camberley  had  gone to school.

But  teachers  kept  the  children  safely  in their class-rooms  and  mld-morning playtime  Was cancelled until parents  arrived to take them home.

Police and doctors feared that Lang. a psychopathic brutal rapist, would pounce on the first child or woman he encountered.

Lang, who raped a woman in 1966 then killed a 12 year-old  girl  during  a vicious  sex  attack,  almost escaped  on a  previous  occasion  three  years ago.

He  had  advertised for women  pen-friends  and charmed  two of  them into smuggling pieces of an escape kit  to him under  the noses of the hospital’s  male nurses.

Patricia Soul, a 48-year-old Southampton  housewife  got him  a  hacksaw,  five razor blades,  a screwdriver  and glass  cutter  which  he  later claimed were for picture framing.

Ann Wright, 27, from Burnt Oak, Middlesex, gave him £55, a rope and scissors during one  of her regular Weekend visits  to  him.

At Reading Crown Court later, Soul was conditionally discharged.

Helping with the search yesterday was entertainer -Jimmy Savile, who was in the middle of a voluntary stint at the hospital.



Three Women’s Lives Broken By The Beast

DAILY  EXPRESS Tuesday. July 21 1981




THE lives of three women were broken by bestial child killer James Lang.

Before his surrender, one of them, the mother of the girl he killed — Susan Mary young, aged 12— was in vengeful mood.

MRS AUDREY YOUNG 51, who still lives In the Hindley area of Wigan where her daughter was murdered in 1970 said:

70, said:

” if  I came  face  to  face with  Jimmy  Lang  I  would  kill him. I said that 10 years ago and I say it again today.”

When his escape was reported his former wife was put under sedation and the woman who helped him in a previous escape attempt was given police protection.

MRS CAROL DANIELS, Lang’s former wife who has reverted to her maiden name, was under sedation at a relative’s home after hearing of the escape.

She lives close by and is bringing up their teenage children, Karen, who works at a local supermarket, and Darren, still at school. She divorced Lang a year after the case.

MRS PATRICIA SOUL, 48, who, unwittingly helped Lang’s escape bid three years ago, was “shaking and frightened ” when she heard the news at her  Southampton home.

She became his pen friend while he was at Broadmoor. In 1978 she and another woman were given 12 months Jail sentences, suspended for two years, at Reading, for conspiring to smuggle escape gear into Broadmoor.

She said: “ I’m absolutely terrified. “

“I never meant to help him escape. Because of what I said about him at my trial he may be seeking revenge now,”

The  other woman  involved in the original escape bid, 28-year-old  Ann  Wright,  has moved from the family home in  Burnt Oak; North London.