Feb 1 2013
The Daily Mail/ The Independent
Naked man who beheaded his mother because he thought she was a witch made ‘Hannibal Lecter noises’ when arrested by police
- Daniel Coriat, 44, murdered his mother Elizabeth, 76, before mutilating her body at flat they shared in Forrest Hill, south London
- Seen wandering streets naked before police found him hiding in wheelie bin
- Paranoid schizophrenic sent to secure mental ward indefinitely
By STEVE ROBSON
PUBLISHED: 20:24, 29 January 2013 | UPDATED: 20:50, 29 January 2013
A paranoid schizophrenic who killed and decapitated his elderly mother because he believed she was a witch will spend the rest of his life in a secure mental ward.
Daniel Coriat, 44, was seen wandering the streets naked like ‘a zombie’ before police found him hiding in a wheelie bin in a train station following the murder.
He told officers he was the son of God and had been living in the bin since he ‘came down from the sky two months ago’, the Old Bailey heard today.
He made ‘Hannibal Lecter suckling noises’ before snarling at officers as he was arrested and put into a police van.
Emergency services found his mother Elizabeth,76, brutally murdered at the flat they shared together in Forest Hill, south London, in March last year.
She had suffered almost 50 separate injuries and her head had been cut off completely off, rotated 180 degrees, and placed back on her body.
‘His mother was found on her bed, fully clothed, decapitated and mutilated with various weapons embedded in her head and body,’ said prosecutor Sarah Plaschkes QC.
‘There were injuries to the wrists and ankles, suggesting a crucifixion-like pattern.’
Coriat was due to stand trial for the murder of his mother Elizabeth, 76, but prosecutors accepted a guilty plea to manslaughter today.
- NHS worker strangled partner on Norfolk Broads holiday then spent a week with her daughter, 13, on hired boat before drowning himself
- Father, 27, ‘killed his five-month-old son by shaking him as his mother was buying Christening clothes’
- Crazed neighbour stabbed line dancer and wife with Rambo hunting knife ‘because they tidied up his flat while feeding the cat ‘
Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at the age of 18, he would often fly into explosive rages when he stopped taking his medication, the court heard.
He mutilated his mother’s body with an arsenal of weapons including carving knives, secateurs, a chef’s steel and a pruning saw.
Neighbours saw him walking naked and around near his flat and described the property having fallen eerily silent.
One said: ‘He had a blank vacant stare. He was walking really slowly like a zombie, staring straight ahead.’
During an earlier court hearing, he claimed his mother was a witch, adding: ‘You saw the body when it was taken away. It didn’t look human.’
Flanked by psychiatric nurses, Coriat laughed loudly in the dock as a judge ordered he be locked away in a mental hospital indefinitely.
Judge Richard Hone QC told him: ‘I have come to the clear conclusion your mental illness is the primary component of this terrible offence.
‘My task is to ensure the public is safeguarded as far as possible from any recurrence of this bizarre, grisly and grotesque violence.’
Addressing the Coriat family, he added: ‘They must all receive the full sympathy of all those in court in the context of this simply awful event.’
The murder charge was left to lie on the court file.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2270268/Naked-man-Daniel-Coriat-beheaded-mother-thought-witch-Hannibal-Lecter-noises-arrested-police.html#ixzz2Jc87Trkn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
North Korean cannibalism fears amid claims starving people forced to desperate measures
The reports come as sanctions against the country are tightened against the backdrop of angry rhetoric over missile testing
Reports from inside the secretive famine-hit pariah state, North Korea, claim a man has been executed after murdering his two children for food.
The grim suggestion that North Koreans are turning to cannibalism were reported by theAsia Press, and published in the Sunday Times.
They claim a ‘hidden famine’ in the farming provinces of North and South Hwanghae has killed 10,000 people, and there are fears that cannibalism is spreading throughout the country.
The reports come as sanctions are tightened against the backdrop of angry rhetoric over missile testing.
In one particularly disturbing report, a man was said to have dug up his grandchild’s corpse. Other lurid reports included the suggestion that some men boiled their children before eating them.
Asia Press is a specialist news agency based in Osaka, Japan, which claims to have recruited a network of “citizen journalists” inside North Korea. The reports are considered credible.
Interviews have led Asia Press to conclude that more than 10,000 people have probably died in North and South Hwanghae provinces, south of Pyongyang, the capital.
North Korea has not confirmed or denied any reports of the deaths.
One informant, based in South Hwanghae, said: “In my village in May, a man who killed his own two children and tried to eat them was executed by a firing squad.
“While his wife was away on business he killed his eldest daughter and, because his son saw what he had done, he killed his son as well. When the wife came home, he offered her food, saying: ‘We have meat.’
“But his wife, suspicious, notified the Ministry of Public Security, which led to the discovery of part of their children’s bodies under the eaves.”
Jiro Ishimaru, from Asia Press said: ‘Particularly shocking were the numerous testimonies that hit us about cannibalism.’
Another of the citizen journalists, Gu Gwang-ho, said: “There was an incident when a man was arrested for digging up the grave of his grandchild and eating the remains.”
A middle ranking official of the ruling Korean Workers Party said: “In a village in Chongdan county, a man who went mad with hunger boiled his own child, ate his flesh and was arrested”
A new UN agreement, passed on Tuesday, extended sanctions already imposed on North Korea after it held nuclear tests in 2006 and 2009.
The current rise in tensions and extension of sanctions follows Pyonyang’s defiant decision to push ahead with a long-range rocket launch on December 12 – insisting it was a peaceful mission to place a satellite in orbit.
Despite the insistence of the regime that the test was peaceful the rest of the world saw it as a banned ballistic missile test.
The United States, supported by Japan and South Korea, spearheaded the new UN resolution.
This week North Korea once again raised the level of rhetoric over sanctions, threatening war with its neighbours in the south saying: “If the South Korean puppet regime of traitors directly participates in the so-called UN ‘sanctions’, strong physical countermeasures would be taken,” the North’s Committee for Peaceful Reunification of the Fatherland said.