Nov 15 2012
The Daily Mail
Former Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis is arrested in Jimmy Savile sex abuse investigation
Police investigating allegations of sexual abuse by Jimmy Savile have today arrested former BBC Radio 1 star David Lee Travis on suspicion of sexual offences.
Mr Travis, 67, is the fourth suspect to be arrested as part of Operation Yewtree after former BBC producer Wilfred De’ath, 73, former pop star Gary Glitter, 68, and comic Freddie Starr, 69.
The other three have since been released on bail.
The former Radio 1 Breakfast Show host, has previously strenuously denied allegations of sexual assault.
Mr Travis, from Bedfordshire, who hosted the breakfast show from 1978 to 1980, was arrested at 7.45am and has been taken into police custody where he is being questioned.
Police confirmed a man in his 60s had been arrested as part of investigations into the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal.
A neighbour of Mr Travis confirmed today that the broadcaster is being held in Aylesbury Police Station, Buckinghamshire.
The neighbour, who lives next door to the home of Mr Travis in Mentmore, Leighton Buzzard, Bedforshire, didn’t want to be identified but visited the DJ’s home to lend support to the broadcaster’s wife.
When he emerged and was asked if the DJ was present during his visit, he said he wasn’t and all he could say was that he had been told Travis was being held at Aylesbury Police Station where he was taken after his 7.45am arrest this morning by officers from Scotland Yard.
Police said the allegations made against a man in his 60s do not directly involve Savile, and are classed under the strand of their investigation termed ‘others’.
Scroll down for video
The Metropolitan Police Service is leading a national investigation into abuse allegations made against disgraced TV presenter Savile.
So far, around 450 potential victims have come forward and 200 allegations of sexual assault have been made.
Officers are looking at three strands within their inquiry: claims against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others.
Most of the ‘others’ allegations have been made against people associated with the entertainment industry.
Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr and a 73-year-old man have been arrested and bailed in connection with the investigation.
Mr De’ath, a producer for Savile on BBC radio show Teen Scene, was arrested on Sunday as part of Operation Yewtree.
He was held for around five hours at Parkside police station in Cambridge before he was freed on police bail and taken back to his home pending further inquiries.
Glitter, whose real name is Paul Gadd, was arrested first and questioned at a London police station after being detained at his home in the capital.
Starr was arrested next. He was arrested and released on bail for a second time earlier this month as part of the Savile abuse inquiry.
He has consistently denied any involvement in the alleged abuse.
Gary Glitter, left, was the first man to be arrested in connection with Operation Yewtree, and Jimmy Savile, right
Released on bail: Freddie Starr, left, who was the second man to be arrested and Wilfred De’Ath, right, a producer for Savile was the third man to be arrested
Children’s charity the NSPCC said it had received 236 calls about Savile, an average of five per day, since the first sexual abuse allegations emerged.
The number of contacts made about other claims of sexual abuse has trebled in the last month, rising to 550.
Director of the NSPCC’s helpline Peter Watt said: ‘It’s crucial that people continue to come forward, whether they have information about Savile or anyone else. Our prime focus has to be on protecting children, particularly those unable to speak out themselves, and bringing offenders to justice.’
The former judge leading the BBC inquiry into the Savile scandal has launched an appeal for witnesses.
Dame Janet Smith, who is reviewing the corporation’s practices during the Savile years, called on potential victims, witnesses, people who worked with the TV presenter and senior staff at the time to assist the investigation.
According to the inquiry’s website, the review also wants to hear from people ‘who were familiar with the culture or practices of the BBC’ in terms of ‘preventing or enabling the sexual abuse of children, young people or teenagers’.
In addition, the Department of Health is investigating its own conduct after appointing Savile to head a taskforce at Broadmoor in 1988.
Former BBC local radio presenter charged with sexually abusing underage boys
A former BBC employee has been charged with sexual offences against children.
Michael Souter, from Loddon, Norfolk, has been charged with 18 offences relating to young boys, plus an offence against a man and one against a woman.
Mr Souter is accused of 10 indecent assaults on a boy under the age of 16 and six sex offences with a boy under 16.
Norfolk Police said the offences date back to between 1979 and 1999 and happened in Norfolk.
Mr Souter, 59, who formerly worked as a presenter for BBC Radio Norfolk, is due before Norwich Magistrates’ Court on November 30.
Souter issued a statement which read: ‘This is the third time that Norfolk Police have investigated these alleged offences, which I strenuously deny and will vigorously defend.
‘On both previous occasions, the Crown Prosecution Service advised against making charges. It has taken Norfolk police nearly 20 years and two years in the current investigation to get to this stage using methods that are now subject to a judicial review in the High Court.
‘For that reason, plus the fact I have now been charged, you will understand that I cannot go into detail.
‘My close friends have been a tower of strength during what has been an extremely difficult period and I cannot thank them enough for their support.
‘I would just ask that nobody jumps to any conclusions and I look forward to being able to prove my innocence and get on with my life.’
Souter now runs a media consultancy.
He was born and brought up in Scotland and attended the Britannia Royal Naval College in Dartmouth as a scholarship entrant in 1970.
He began his media career at Radio Clyde as a reporter before moving to the BBC, where he spent nine years producing and presenting programmes for radio and television.
He also has a home in Spain.
‘I want to end it all. I feel suicidal’: Comedian Freddie Starr is banned from being alone with his own children while Savile police probe sex abuse claim
Suicidal Freddie Starr says his life is ‘ruined’ after his arrest by detectives investigating Jimmy Savile’s decades of paedophilia and admits ‘I want to go and end it all’.
The comedian has hit rock bottom after being arrested earlier this month and banned from being left alone with his own children by social services while the abuse claim against him is investigated.
Starr is accused of molesting a 14-year-old in Savile’s BBC dressing room forty years ago, which he denies and says the strain of the investigation is giving him heart problems.
‘My life is ruined. I feel so desperate at times I want to go and end it all,’ he told the Mirror, adding: ‘It’s heartbreaking because I’m totally innocent. It makes me feel suicidal. I don’t think I can ever work again – how can I put a comedy face on after this?’
The former television star, 69, was bailed earlier this month and has not been charged with any offence.
The comedian was named by Karin Ward who claims she was groped by him at a Savile sex party 40 years ago after appearing on television alongside him.
Ruined: Freddie Starr is feeling the strain after his abuse arrest and says ‘I feel so desperate at times I just want to end it all’ (pictured leaving his home earlier this month)
Accusations: Karin Ward, pictured, says she was groped and abused by Starr in Jimmy Savile’s BBC dressing room
Meeting: Karin Ward in yellow sitting behind Freddie Starr when he appeared on BBC TV show hosted by Jimmy Savile, ‘Clunk Click’, in 1974
Starr had denied meeting his accuser but a video later emerged of the pair of them together on Savile’s show ‘Clunk Click’ in 1974.
Warwickshire social services has now ordered he can only spend time with his own children when his fiancee Sophie Lea, 34,is with them at their home south of Birmingham.
A council will always act in this way when an individual is subject to sexual abuse claims.
‘I’m no sex pest,’ he said, ‘but right now I can only have supervised contact with my kids.
Probe: Police outside the home of Freddie Starr in Warwickshire, after the comedian was released on bail earlier this month
‘If Sophie goes out I can’t be left alone with them in my own house. The way I’m being treated is humiliating. The kids are suffering too.’
The madcap comic says he wants ‘I told you I was innocent’ carved into his tombstone if he dies.
He also has said that in recent times he has been treated like the ‘new Yorkshire Ripper’.
Operation Yewtree is the Metropolitan Police investigation looking into alleged offending by the former disc jockey and ‘others’.
Convicted paedophile Gary Glitter was the first to be detained in what is expected to be a wave of arrests of celebrities and former BBC staff.