Jan 23 2013
BBC presenter Stuart Hall questions the police’s ‘clear pursuit of celebrities’ after being charged with historic sex offences
The Daily Mail
There are a couple of lines in the following article that made me giggle. The first one being: A police spokesman said: ‘We take all allegations of sexual abuse extremely seriously’... No they fucking don’t . Wankers!
The second: ‘The clear pursuit of celebrities – an 83-year-old in this instance – raises concerns about fairness and equal treatment,’ she said.
Nice to see that Hall still retains an over inflated sense of his own worth. He is however, quite right in alluding to himself and the list of other has-beens as being held up as sacrificial lambs. Never the less, the fact is that they have been accused of some vile crimes and it is right that they should be punished if guilty.
Reading the article, it is obvious as to what Halls defence is going to be and I suppose that it could be argued that a 22yr old woman should have reported the rape back in 1976 when it is alleged to have happened. However, that argument quickly falls down since we do not know how vulnerable the woman was. Hall was once undeniably a big name in the UK and threats such as “no one will ever believe you” aimed at his victim could well have convinced her not to report the crime.
Moreover, it is well documented that back in the day, Rape Victims were treated without compassion by the Police. It is also a recorded fact that many women were put off reporting such crimes because of the humiliation that they faced when being interrogated by the old bill back then. In fact, to a certain extent, that is still true today.
However, for Hall to stand up in court and try and claim that the allegations are false in the cases of the children, working on the theory that if they were true then the girls would have reported it at the time, is sickening in the extreme.
I feel sure that I do not need to point out the flaw in that argument – At least I hope I don’t. Moreover, and as I have also said before, when commenting about Hall. If these girls were making these allegations up, I’m sure that they would have chosen some one with a higher public profile that a broken down old nonce, living in relative obscurity.
Hall, you make me fucking sick.
- Hall’s solicitor Louise Straw spoke on his behalf outside his Cheshire home
- ‘The clear pursuit of celebrities – an 83-year-old in this instance – raises concerns about fairness and equal treatment,’ she said
- Broadcaster accused of raping a woman in 1976, who was then aged 22
- Also charged with 14 indecent assault offences against ten girls aged 9-16
- Arrested yesterday after attending appointment with Lancashire Police
- Hall was charged in December with indecently assaulting three other girls
- Veteran BBC man is known for his eccentric football commentaries
Stuart Hall believes the police’s ‘clear pursuit of celebrities’ has led to him being charged with a string of alleged sex offences dating back four decades, his solicitor said today.
The veteran broadcaster, 83, was arrested yesterday and accused of the rape of a young woman and 14 counts of indecent assault on children as young as a nine.
Mr Hall appeared in court earlier this month to face accusations of three other sex attacks.
Speaking outside his home in Wilmslow, Cheshire, Louise Straw said: ‘A number of historic allegations have been made. These are all denied.
Further charges: Stuart Hall (pictured left outside court on January 7) was arrested yesterday on suspicion of rape and several indecent assaults, which his solicitor Louise Straw said ‘raised serious issues’ today
‘None of the complainants thought fit to report any of these matters to the authorities over the last three to four decades. This raises a number of serious issues.
‘The clear pursuit of celebrities – an 83-year-old in this instance- raises concerns about fairness and equal treatment.
‘It would be inappropriate to make further comment pending trial’.
The rape is alleged to have been in 1976 on a 22-year-old and the indecent assault offences are reported to have been committed between 1967 and 1986. They concern ten girls aged between nine and 16.
A Lancashire Police statement said: ‘Following consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service an 83-year-old man has this evening been charged with one offence of rape and 14 offences of indecent assault.’
Hall had already been charged in December with indecently assaulting three girls.
These charges included an alleged assault of an eight-year-old, an 11-year-old and a woman who was then aged 16. The allegations cover the period between 1974 and 1984.
Hall, who is known for his distinctively highbrow approach to football commentary on Radio 5 Live, was released from custody and bailed to appear before court this month over the three charges.
But now that case will go before magistrates in Preston on April 16. He has already pleaded not guilty.
And, in light of the new allegations laid against him, he has been bailed to appear before magistrates, again in Preston, on February 7.
In December, Hall’s employers at BBC Radio 5 Live announced he would not be working for them while the police investigation was continuing.
Hall was first arrested in December during a dawn swoop on his £1.5million detached home in Wilmslow, Cheshire, where he lives with his wife of 44 years, Hazel, who is 74.
The couple, who have two grown-up children, Daniel, 50, and Francesca, 52, are popular among the local community where they carry out charity work.
Hall won legions of fans in the 1970s and 1980s for his inimitable style and habit of breaking down in fits of infectious laughter during It’s a Knockout.
He became an OBE in the 2012 New Year Honours for services to broadcasting and charity.
Hall’s solicitor, Louise Straw, said last night: ‘A number of historic allegations have been made, all of which are denied.
‘None of these allegations have been raised with the authorities in the last three to four decades which raises concerns and issues.’
A police spokesman said: ‘We take all allegations of sexual abuse extremely seriously.’
Mr Hall appeared before magistrates a fortnight ago to deny the first three allegations of sexually abusing young girls he was accused of in December.
The veteran broadcaster, who has not been seen in public since, looked drawn and grey – a shadow of his normal ebullient self – as he entered court to face three counts of indecent assault.
Hall was asked if he understood that he faced three separate charges of indecent assault and if he wanted to enter a plea.
He replied: ‘Yes I do. Not guilty to all three charges.’
Hall, who gave his full name, James Stuart Hall, was then allowed to sit down in the witness box while further details of the charges were given at Preston Magistrates’ Court.
Following his arrest Hall condemned the police decision to carry out a dawn raid at his home.
At the time his solicitor, Miss Straw, expressed anger saying her client should not have had to suffer the humiliation of being arrested at his family home in the early hours of the morning.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2267025/BBC-presenter-Stuart-Hall-questions-polices-clear-pursuit-celebrities-charged-historic-sex-offences.html#ixzz2Ioy1Qjni
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook