Feb 27 2013
The Sun/Vati Leaks
If I started talking about the evils of Religion, they would need to put the computer keyboard in my coffin with me.
A weirdy beardy man on a cloud who loves us to death and tells us how to live our lives!!! What the fuck is that all about?
Apparently, old Weirdy Beardy loves us that fucking much, if we don’t obey his commandments he will strike us down and send us to hell!!! Fucking hell.
Yet, otherwise, rational intelligent people buy into the crock of horse shit hook line and sinker. Give me fucking strength.
Still, it is interesting to see the way that the Sun Newspaper is linking Cardinal Pead O’ Brien with Jimmy Savile. The implication is hardly subtle. Shame the Propaganda rag doesn’t do the same to Saviles great mates Big ears and the Duck.
My friend Savile by Cardinal ‘Sin’
Holy man and the sex beast
BRITAIN’S Catholic leader — sensationally fired by the Pope over a gay sex scandal — boasted of his close friendship with Jimmy Savile, The Sun can reveal.
Cardinal Keith O’Brien formed a close bond with the BBC child sex beast over many years and paid a personal tribute to him after his death.
Yesterday it emerged that O’Brien, an outspoken opponent of gay rights, was ordered to resign by the Vatican after male priests came forward to say he behaved “inappropriately” towards them in the 1980s.
One said he was left needing long-term psychological counselling.
The country’s most senior Catholic cleric had planned to hang on until his 75th birthday next month.
But the Pope told him to go immediately, plunging the Catholic church in Britain into turmoil.
The Cardinal — archbishop of St Andrews and Edinburgh — denies the allegations and is understood to be consulting lawyers.
But he issued a statement yesterday confirming Pope Benedict’s orders and apologising for “failures” during his ministry.
He paid tribute to his “friend” Savile after his death in October, months before the DJ was unmasked as one of the country’s worst ever child sex predators.
He told the Scottish Catholic Observer: “My friendship with Jimmy Savile developed over many years since I was assistant priest in St Patrick’s Parish, Kilsyth.
“We were always trying to fundraise, not only for the parish, but for a variety of local and national charities.”
Savile was awarded the papal knighthood in 1990, a decision the Vatican later admitted regretting.
The axing of O’Brien has left Britain’s Catholic church without a representative in next month’s meeting to select Pope Benedict’s successor.
O’Brien originally asked to retire on March 17 after suffering ill health. But he said in a statement yesterday: “The Holy Father has now decided that my resignation will take effect today.”
O’Brien, of Ballycastle, Co Antrim, became archbishop in 1985 and was proclaimed a cardinal in 2003.
He vehemently opposed gay adoption and same-sex marriages and was named “bigot of the year” by campaign group Stonewall last year.
The Vatican acted after the complaints by three priests and one former priest, all from his St Andrews and Edinburgh diocese.
It is understood they submitted statements to the office of the papal ambassador to Britain the week before Pope Benedict’s resignation was announced on February 11.
The first allegation is thought to date back to 1980 when the complainant was an 18-year-old trainee priest at a college where O’Brien was his “spiritual director”.
He claims O’Brien made an inappropriate approach after night prayers, leaving the student too frightened to report the incident. He was ordained but later resigned.
A second priest described how he was happily settled in a parish when O’Brien visited and “inappropriate contact” took place.
A third claims he had to deal with “unwanted behaviour” from the cardinal after a late-night drinking session during a week-long stay with the archbishop in the 1980s.
The fourth, according to reports, claims O’Brien used night prayers as an excuse for inappropriate contact while he was counselling him over personal problems.
A spokesman for the cardinal said: “The allegations are anonymous and not specific and he contests them.”
Vatican loses fight to keep sex files secret
Comment on this Article
After six years of American court appeals by the Archdiocese of Los Angeles to keep 30,000 pages of internal, sealed files of priesthood sex crimes out of public scrutiny, the State Supreme Court recently ordered their release, and the documents became public for the first time. They make for startling reading, soul-jarring and shocking, an incontrovertible record of brutal and heartless rapes committed by 122 Roman Catholic priests who presented themselves to the world as the earthly agents of God. These files are a remarkable archive of criminal behaviour condoned by the Holy See, and are disturbing to read. Ray Boucher, the lead attorney for plaintiffs, said that what is revealed in the files is ‘chilling’, and ‘the irony in all of this’, he added, ‘is that in their vain attempts to protect the image of the church, they’ve tarnished it beyond repair’. Upon reading the unsealed documents, an anonymous Vatican official said that the Los Angeles Catholic priesthood ‘left a wake of devastation that is hard to comprehend’.
The sacked Cardinal
As a direct result of the release of the documents, and in a move unprecedented in the American Catholic Church, Los Angeles Archbishop Jose Gomez announced that he had relieved his predecessor, Cardinal Roger M. Mahony, of all public duties over his serious mishandling of clergy sex abuse of children over the previous decades. Archbishop Gomez also announced that Auxiliary Bishop Thomas J. Curry, who worked with Cardinal Mahony to conceal child sex abusers from police, had resigned his post as a regional bishop in Santa Barbara, California. In a letter addressed to ‘My brothers and sisters in Christ’, Archbishop Gomez wrote; ‘I find these files to be brutal and painful reading. The behavior described in these files is terribly sad and evil’. Such is the nature of the Catholic priesthood the world over.
Victory for the victims
Abuse victims had insisted that the Archdiocese of Los Angeles release the records as part of a settlement in 2007, which provided $660 million to 508 victims. The Vatican’s response to intense media coverage about decades of paedophilic crimes in the Archdiocese of Los Angeles was simply to say that the accusations were nothing more than ‘petty gossip of the moment’ (Cardinal Angelo Sodano, April 2010, at Easter Mass in St. Peter’s Square), but the records of the Catholic Church now released reveal something entirely different. The published files contain key information that Catholic hierarchs used delaying tactics for six years in the Courts to prevent the public release of the documents since the global settlement was announced. Now the world can read the truth about specific men in Catholic leadership with the titles of Pope, Cardinal, Bishop, and Monsignor and how they always put the avoidance of child sex abuse scandals in the Church above the safety of children.
What are they hiding?
However, it seems that the files the archdiocese released with much fanfare are incomplete and many are unaccounted for, according to the lawyers of the abuse victims. Even the number of pages that exist in the files is in contention. At the hearing before Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Emilie H. Elias in January, 2013, Mr. Hennigan, the archdiocese’s lawyer, said there were 30,000 pages, yet only 12,000 have been released, and they have missing sections, such as the names of high-ranking churchmen, and the supervisors of religious orders. In addition, many documents have had the names of particular church supervisors redacted, or blacked-out by the archdiocese’s editors, in apparent violation of the judge’s order. Terrence McKiernan, co-director of BishopAccountability.org, a victims’ advocacy group that collects and publishes documents on sexual abuse by Catholic clergy members, said; ‘They seem to be trying to protect the names of supervisors not only in Los Angeles, but in other dioceses as well’. Lawyers for the abuse victims said they were compiling a list of documents that they believe are still missing or are erroneously edited, and may file a motion in court to compel the church to release them. ‘We know we have not gotten a complete disclosure’, said Jeff Anderson, who is among the lawyers representing the victims. ‘They have removed things that should not have been removed, some of which we have seen before, so we know that they exist. It’s more deception, deceit and secrecy’.